Lectures/Walks/Outings – 2019
28th Edition of our Journal now available
Please note that Annual Membership Subscriptions are due on January 1st
Single €10:00 Family €15:00 Retired/Unwaged €8:00 Retired Family €12:00
Lectures take place in The Royal Marine Hotel, Marine Road, Dun Laoghaire at 8 p.m.
Admission Fee : €3.00
Wednesday 17th April
“AGM and Treasure Night”
Saturday 27th April
Half Day Outing to Newbridge House, Donabate – depart the car park Dart Station Sandycove at 12:45. Cost €20:00 – required to book a place on the outing and is non- refundable. Book at any of our lectures or with Anna Scudds at 01-2806213 Newbridge House is a Georgian Mansion set within 30 acres of woodland, gardens and rare breeds farm. It was the home of the Cobbe family from 1736, who still have an input in the running of the estate and retain the top floor as a holiday home.
Wednesday 15th May
“Living in Harbour House during the Emergency”.
Speaker: Russell Kane.
Russell lived in harbour house with his family, his father worked for Dun Laoghaire Borough Council. Harbour House is now known as Moran Park House.
Saturday 13th July
Summer Outing to Cavan County Museum & Martry Mill
The annual Summer Outing this year is to Cavan County Museum in Ballyjamesduff (cavanmuseum.ie) & Martry Mill in Kells (Martrymill.ie) on Saturday 13th July 2019.
Cavan Museum exhibitions include : G.A.A. History, Medieval Gallery, The Great Famine, The Farnham Gallery, The Pighouse Collection, The Nun’s Story, Percy French, Folklife Gallery, Boat Room, Archaeology Room, Historical Sites and W.W.1 Trench Experience.
Martry Mill has been grinding grain since 1641 and the Tallon family have been producing stoneground wholemeal flour since 1859.
Cost: €60.00 to include Tea/Coffee break and Dinner in the evening in Trim Castle Hotel.
To book a place contact Brendan Mc Govern on 086-2734200
Sunday 15 – Tuesday 17 September
3 day/2-night tour of Sligo, Longford, Roscommon & the North West
(Fully booked but if you wish to go on the waiting list contact Maria on 087 2884069)
Cost: €260.00 per person sharing a twin/double room, €320.00 for single rooms.
Hotel: 4-star Sligo Park Hotel, Sligo. – 2 nights dinner, bed & breakfast.
Based on 30 travelling, places are allocated on a first-come-first-served basis.
Guided Tours of the following:
Corlea Trackway Visitors Centre – interprets an Iron Age bog road that was built in 148 BC across the bog lands of Longford. Inside the centre an eighteen-metre stretch of the preserved trackway is on display.
St. Mel’s Cathedral, Longford – the foundation stone laid in 1840 but did not open until 1856 due to the famine. There are beautiful stained-glass windows by artist Harry Clarke at the end of the side chapel.
Castlecoote House – a magnificent Georgian building incorporating parts of a sixteenth-century castle. The present owners bought Castlecoote House in 1997, the house was a ruin and the restoration took 5 years.
Carrowmore Megalithic Cemetery – the largest cemetery of megalithic tombs in Ireland and is also among the country’s oldest with monuments ranging from 5,000 to 5,800 years old.
Lissadell House is a Neo-Classical Greek Revival style house built of local cut grey limestone designed by Francis Goodwin. It is famous as the childhood home of Constance Markievicz, her sister Eva Gore-Booth and her brother Josslyn Gore-Booth.
Belleek Pottery & Museum – see the Masterpiece Collection Laurel Basket being made by talented craftspeople. Also, the museum contains pieces dating back to when the pottery was started in 1857.
Mullaghmore Harbour – short stop here.
Drumcliffe Church & Cemetery – located in an area of outstanding natural beauty in north county Sligo and has connections with Saint Columba, W.B. Yeats and the Gore-Booth family.
Sligo Abbey – a Dominican Friary founded in the mid-thirteenth-century by Maurice Fitzgerald. The site contains a great wealth of carvings including Gothic and Renaissance tomb sculpture, a well-preserved cloister and the only sculptured fifteenth-century high alter to survive in an Irish monastic church.
Parke’s Castle – a restored plantation castle of the early seventeenth-century, situated on the shores of Lough Gill, once the home of Robert Parke. There is evidence of an earlier sixteenth-century Tower House once owned by Brian O’Rourke who was executed in Tyburn, London in 1591.
Florence Court – a Georgian mansion and Irish estate which is the creation of three successive generations of the Cole family who were powerful Fermanagh landowners in the plantations of the seventeenth-century.
Light Lunches: Day 1 Longford TBC, Day 2 Tea Rooms, Lissadell House, Day 3 Stables Restaurant, Florence Court
We have a Facebook page – Dun Laoghaire Borough Historical Society – please sign up to view all our activities.
To contact the Federation of Local History Societies, go to – www.localhistory.ie – to view all the activities
Book Stall available at all our meetings
28th edition of our Journal is now available @ €7:00
Street History /Kingstown – Dun Laoghaire, Carrickbrennan Graveyard, Pavilion, Glasthule Book, Artists & Writers of the Borough – all at €6:00
Some back issues available at reduced rate – €3:00, secure some of the journals you are missing. Post and packaging: – Ireland €3:50 UK & rest of the world €4:50.
Hon Sec: Anna Scudds, 7 Northumberland Park, Dun Laoghaire, Co Dublin. PH:(01)2806213 not after 9pm local time.