Home

*******************************************************************************

       

           Wednesday 17th April            

“A.G.M. and Treasure Night”

You are welcome to bring along your treasures or collectibles and speak for 5 minutes or display them. Non- members are welcome after the A.G.M., at 8.30.

 

Lectures take place in The Royal Marine Hotel, Marine Road,

Dun Laoghaire at 8 p.m.

Admission Fee : €3.00 

**************************************************************

Saturday 13th July 2019

Summer Outing to Cavan County Museum & Martry Mill

The annual Summer Outing this year is to Cavan County Museum in Ballyjamesduff (cavanmuseum.ie) & Martry Mill in Kells (Martrymill.ie) on Saturday 13th July 2019.

Cavan Museum exhibitions include : G.A.A. History, Medieval Gallery, The Great Famine, The Farnham Gallery, The Pighouse Collection, The Nun’s Story, Percy French,  Folklife Gallery, Boat Room, Archaeology Room, Historical Sites and W.W.1 Trench Experience.

Martry Mill has been grinding grain since 1641 and the Tallon family have been producing stoneground wholemeal flour since 1859.

Cost: €60.00 to include Tea/Coffee break and Dinner in Trim Castle Hotel.

To book a place contact Brendan Mc Govern on 086-2734200 

 ***************************************************************

Saturday 27 April 2019

Half-Day Outing to Newbridge House

(Fully booked but if you wish to go on the waiting list contact Anna Scudds on 01 2806213)

Half Day Outing to Newbridge House, Donabate – depart the car park Dart Station Sandycove at 12:45. Cost €20:00 – required to book a place on the outing and is non- refundable. Book at any of our lectures or with Anna Scudds on  01-2806213 

Newbridge House is a Georgian Mansion set within 30 acres of woodland, gardens and rare breeds farm.  It was the home of the Cobbe family from 1736, who still have an input in the running of the estate and retain the top floor as a holiday home.

Sunday 15 – Tuesday 17 September 2019.

3 day/2-night tour of Sligo, Longford, Roscommon & the North West

(Fully booked but if you wish to go on the waiting list contact Maria on 087 2884069)

Cost: €260.00 per person sharing a twin/double room, €320.00 for single rooms. 

Hotel: 4-star Sligo Park Hotel, Sligo. – 2 nights dinner, bed & breakfast.

Based on 30 travelling, places are allocated on a first-come-first-served basis.

Guided Tours of the following:

  • Corlea Trackway Visitors Centre –  interprets an Iron Age bog road that was built in 148 BC across the bog lands of Longford. Inside the centre an eighteen-metre stretch of the preserved trackway is on display.

  • St. Mel’s Cathedral, Longford – the foundation stone laid in 1840 but did not open until 1856 due to the famine. There are beautiful stained-glass windows by artist Harry Clarke at the end of the side chapel.

  • Castlecoote House – a magnificent Georgian building incorporating parts of a sixteenth-century castle. The present owners bought Castlecoote House in 1997, the house was a ruin and the restoration took 5 years.

  • Carrowmore Megalithic Cemetery – the largest cemetery of megalithic tombs in Ireland and is also among the country’s oldest with monuments ranging from 5,000 to 5,800 years old.

  • Lissadell House is a Neo-Classical Greek Revival style house built of local cut grey limestone designed by Francis Goodwin. It is famous as the childhood home of Constance Markievicz, her sister Eva Gore-Booth and her brother Josslyn Gore-Booth.

  • Belleek Pottery & Museum – see the Masterpiece Collection Laurel Basket being made by talented craftspeople. Also, the museum contains pieces dating back to when the pottery was started in 1857.

  • Mullaghmore Harbour – short stop here.

  • Drumcliffe Church & Cemetery – located in an area of outstanding natural beauty in north county Sligo and has connections with Saint Columba, W.B. Yeats and the Gore-Booth family.

  • Sligo Abbey – a Dominican Friary founded in the mid-thirteenth-century by Maurice Fitzgerald. The site contains a great wealth of carvings including Gothic and Renaissance tomb sculpture, a well-preserved cloister and the only sculptured fifteenth-century high alter to survive in an Irish monastic church.

  • Parke’s Castle – a restored plantation castle of the early seventeenth-century, situated on the shores of Lough Gill, once the home of Robert Parke. There is evidence of an earlier sixteenth-century Tower House once owned by Brian O’Rourke who was executed in Tyburn, London in 1591.

  • Florence Court – a Georgian mansion and Irish estate which is the creation of three successive generations of the Cole family who were powerful Fermanagh landowners in the plantations of the seventeenth-century.

  • Light LunchesDay 1 Longford TBC, Day 2 Tea Rooms, Lissadell House, Day 3 Stables Restaurant, Florence Court

********************************************************************************

The Aims of the Society are to promote and sustain an interest in the Culture, Heritage and History of Ireland, with particular regard to the Dun Laoghaire Area

FountainThe Dun Laoghaire Borough Historical Society was started by a number of people who came together out of a love of local environment, its history, and its environs. The first meeting was in the rooms of Dun Laoghaire Credit Union, at 21 Longford Terrace, Monkstown on the 21st April 1978.

The Dun Laoghaire Borough Historical Society is a Member of the Federation of Local History Societies and is supported by local business.