Each year we hold a number of outings:
A half day outing is organised each spring.
- The outing for 2015 was a fascinating guided tour of Howth Transport Museum.
- Previous visits have included Russborough House in Co. Wicklow, Drimnagh Castle and the Casino in Marino in Dublin.
A full day outing takes place each July, during the middle of the month.
- Last year, 2016, we visited Slane Castle, The Irish Military Museum and Collon Church.
- Previous visits have included Maynooth College and Castletown House in Co. Kildare, Strokestown House in Co. Roscommon and Kilbeggan Distillery and Athlone Castle, both in Westmeath. Wells House in Ballyedmond & The National Heritage Park.
3 Day Visits
In September we organise a 3 day trip.
- Last year, 2016, our visit took us to Waterford, Kilkenny and Environs.
- Previous visits have included Shrewsbury, North Wales, Liverpool, Birmingham, Manchester, Chester, York and the Peak District.
Historical Walks – Free Events
We hold walks around Dun Laoghaire town area during the summer months.
- For Heritage Week, in August 2015 & 2016, Alice Cullen guided a “Town & Coastal Walk” through Dalkey.
- On Sunday 18th October 2015, Tom Conlon guided a walk around “Visible & Invisible Victorian Dun Laoghaire”.
- In 2014, Colin Scudds guided a walk of Northumberland Avenue and Corrig Park. A lot of history on the avenue, including a Joycean connection, three churches and a World War One military hospital in Corrig Park.
- Previous walks have included Carrickbrennan Graveyard, Monkstown/Old Dunleary/Seafront walk from the railway station to the East Pier including the history of the monuments.
- Each year, for the past 26 years, our society has published a journal, packed with local, family and Irish history. We try to capture as much local, built and family history as we can. These journals are a great source of research for future generations. They are lodged with all the copyright libraries and in the Dun Laoghaire library. We like to encourage our members and those with an interest in the area to submit articles for our journal. It is published each year in November, and the deadline for articles is the end of August. Articles of not more than 2,500 words, typed up, on memory stick or disk should be submitted to our editor.